Monday, December 14, 2015

A CHRISTMAS MYSTERY - SOLVED!


Funky Funky Christmas

Ok folks, when we first posted this one back in 2009, we basically had no clue as to who it might be. Although there were a couple of good guesses, the investigation kind of went back up the chimney, and that was that. Well, as I always say, no Soul Detective case is ever really closed and now, thanks to the mystical power of the ol' internet, we can finally put this one to rest:

I've been contacted by a gentleman named Paul David Wilson who had this to say: "This is Paul David Wilson and with Charles 'Chuck' Colbert, Jr., we are co - songwriters of 'Funky Funky Christmas' and 'Soul Santa' ((now Padavon Music (BMI)). Thank you Soul Detective! We recorded the two songs in the fall of 1974, at Sonart, Studio C [in Chicago -ed.]. I was 22 years old, and Chuck Colbert was my employer, Star Point 7. The label, Nike Records, was owned by Charles Colbert, Sr. On 'Funky Funky Christmas', the horns were played by Willie Little, my best friend, and I, with solos by Willie. I know the background was Debbie Tidwell, and rounding out were Chuck and I. The 'rap', with a raspy voice, was Bill Mitchell, at one time a major record executive. I don't know the rhythm section, but probably the piano was played by Tennyson Stephens. 'Soul Santa' was a solo, Chuck Colbert with Willie Little, ad lib...

Oh, by the way... I stopped by the studio in 2014, Sonart, and it didn't change! Wow. They didn't upgrade. I think Columbia purchased this Studio."

Paul went on to say that he was preparing a press release about all of this for a re-issue of the !K7 compilation In The Christmas Groove, which includes 'Funky Funky Christmas' - Red Kelly of Soul Detective, whose mission is to 'find out as much as possible about these all but forgotten artists'... well, he solved it!"

No, Paul, you did. Thanks so much for getting in touch, and it does my heart good to see this double-sided slab of Christmas Funk getting some of the attention it deserves. "...pass them biscuits, please!

<< souldetective.com