Thursday, October 06, 2011

soul sauce


Hello there. You know, people write to me with questions and stuff all the time, and I'm usually like, 'Yeah, great idea for a case, or a burning question or something, I'll get to it eventually...' Only, eventually usually seems more like forever, and that just ain't right.

Instead of walking around like a guilt-ridden gumshoe as I've been doing, I've decided to resurrect the idea of an ongoing column, where I can address various issues and stuff without going as in-depth as I usually do (although all of that will still happen, God willing). I'm planning to base it on the indispensable soul-era Billboard column "Soul Sauce", and for right now you can check it out over on the main page, souldetective.com - or on the Soul Sauce Archives page,

Please feel free to send in your own thoughts and questions. We're all in this together! Thanks -red

<< souldetective.com

4 Comments:

Anonymous Nick G. said...

Don't go crazy yet, Detectives. Shirley did pass in 2005 but I think I found her family. I'll post an update when I've confirmed.

Thanks again, Red!

9:26 AM  
Anonymous Nick G. said...

I just spoke to Shirley's niece who says she loves the commercial (here's a link: http://youtu.be/aPiuKjw4Bis)! Shirley did leave the business in the late 60s and never seems to have looked back, only occasionally belting out a tune at block parties.

I managed to get this one but I'm sure I'll come calling on the Detectives again.

Keep pourin' on the Soul Sauce, Red!

11:56 AM  
Blogger Dan Phillips said...

Hi, fellow obsessives. Long time no comment....been kind of busy hitting my own dead-ends.....

The only shred of a clue I have for ana is on the Shock label, which the R&B Indies suggests was a Washington, DC based label. Not much, I know. As for Phantom, it has lived up to its name.....

And, I have a question for Naoya.
Was the Florida Bobby Williams the same guy who cut "Funky Superfly" for Duplex Records our of Orlando, FL in 1973???? I've got a copy (not rare), and I think Grogan featured it years ago. Interestingly, it was produced by Clarence Samuels and Jimmy Liggins, who have historical significance in the blues and jump blues fields of the late 1940s and early 1950s. I am sure there is a good story there.... Also, that Bobby Williams is not the same guy as the New Orleans drummer who worked with Eddie Bo and cut a couple of obscurities with his band, the Bobby Williams Group, in the 1960s.

Yours in bafflement, Dan at HOTG

8:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think your Bobby Williams is a man living in Greensboro, NC. He no longer goes by Bobby. Instead, he uses Robert "Jaybird"Williams. He has a band that he plays with locally and also has garnered a bit of popularity as the "Singing Waiter" at a local restaurant named Fincastles. Look him up. See if it is the guy you are looking for.

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< souldetective.com