Sunday, December 20, 2009

A Christmas Mystery


Funky Funky Christmas

Here's one I picked up somewhere recently that I know nothing about. Not a particularly rare record, it shows up from time to time on eBay, and gets included in many a holiday mix...

But, like, who were these guys? The only additional information I could find was on a site called Christmas Music Everyday, where they date the 45 as being from 1970, and call it a "Nice slab of Midwest funk..." I've never heard of the NIKE label, and the two names listed as songwriters, C. Colbert and P. Wilson, don't ring any bells with me.

Detectives?

12/20/09


Soul Santa

Alright, folks, here's the B side of our mystery record by Electric Jungle. I'll tell ya, whoever the vocalist is here, he's really going for it! Two of our crack detectives have weighed in here already. The Stepfather of Soul said:

"Nike was a Chicago label owned by Colbert... Probably the best-known Nike record among rare soul fans is A.C. Reed's Boogaloo Tramp."

...and Agent 45 (aka Georgia Soul's Brian Poust) added:

"Electric Jungle was apparently an Artie White project and the Amazon notes for Funky Funky Chicago suggests that this is an Andre Williams production."

Pretty amazing stuff, guys, thanks! Just like Soul Santa, you keep comin' on strong! Merry Christmas, everybody!

<< souldetective.com

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Nike was a Chicago label owned by Colbert (don't have my Robert Pruter book with me, so I can't recall the first name). Probably the best-known Nike record among rare soul fans is A.C. Reed's "Boogaloo Tramp."

10:59 AM  
Blogger Agent45 said...

Electric Jungle was apparently an Artie White project and the Amazon notes for "Funky Funky Chicago" suggests that this is an Andre Williams production.

11:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P. Wilson is Paul David Wilson who became accomplished jingle writer.

C. Colbert is Charles (Chuck) Colbert Jr. from The American Breed & for a period of time Rufus.

Star Point 7 was owned by Colbert.

The vocalist for Soul Santa doesn't sound too dissimilar to Chuck actually, but I'm not sure.

The bass player sounds pretty damn good! My best guess is Bernard Reed or the dude playing on Natalie Cole's first album.

1:28 AM  
Blogger Red Kelly said...

Hey, thanks for the information there, my brother. Very Interesting!

4:52 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This is Paul David Wilson and with Charles “Chuck” Colbert, Jr., we are co - songwriters of “Funky Funky Christmas" and "Soul Santa” ((now Padavon Music (BMI)). Thank you Soul Detective.

We recorded two songs on the fall of 1974, “Funky Funky Christmas" and "Soul Santa" at Sonart, Studio C. I was 24 years old, and Chuck Colbert was my employer, Star Point 7. The label, Nike Records, was own by Charles Colbert, Sr.  

"Funky Funky Christmas" horns were Willie Little, my best friend, and I, with solos by Willie. I know the background was Debbie Tidwell, and rounding out were Chuck and I. The “rap,” with a raspy voice, was Bill Mitchell, at one time a major record executive. I don't know the rhythm section but probably the piano was Tennyson Stephens.

"Soul Santa" was a solo, Chuck Colbert with Willie Little, ad lib.

Oh, by the way, a year ago I stop by the studio in 2014, Sonart, and it didn't change!  Wow. They didn't upgrade. I think Columbia purchased this Studio. - Paul David Wilson, Padavon Music

8:52 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Whoops! This is Paul David Wilson. In 1974 I was 22 years old not 24 years old! Sorry!

8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< souldetective.com